- Serves 4
- 90 minutes
- 1 6" Square piece kombu
- 1 liter(s) Water
- 1.5 deciliter(s) Bonito flakes or katsuobushi
- 1" Piece fresh peeled young ginger or galangal dry ginger
- 1 tablespoon(s) Low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon(s) Yuzu olive oil, or any olive oil of your choice
- 170 gram(s) 4 portions skinless Chilean sea bass (Patagonian toothfish), or white fish of your choice
- 2 tablespoon(s) Dry sherry
- 1 pinch(s) Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) Olive oil
- 1 piece(s) Young ginger peeled (2.5cm)
- 1/2 piece(s) Lemon
- 2 piece(s) Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sprig(s) Thyme
- 3/4 cup(s) Dry sherry
- 700 gram(s) Mussels, cleaned
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5-6 piece(s) Large trumpet mushrooms sliced in half
- 2 tablespoon(s) Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) Dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon(s) Brandy
- 1 piece(s) Shallot minced
- Garlic powder and ground black peppercorn
- 3 piece(s) Large radishes sliced vertically very thin (mandolin)
- Sprigs of dill
- Rinse kombu to remove some of the salt. Put the kombu and ginger in a saucepan, cover with the water and soak for 5 minutes.
- Bring to a bare simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and add bonito flakes. Let stand for 8 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard kombu and bonito.
- Add the low sodium soy sauce bring to simmer another 10 minutes.
- Continue to keep on low while prepping fish and mussels.
- In a hot saute pan, add yuzu olive oil and Chilean sea bass. Sauté until brown (about two minutes), squeeze lemon on top, flip and add sherry 1 minute, and cover quickly.
- Remove from heat for another minute. Remove from pan. Finish cooking the fish in the oven, about 3 minutes depending on thickness.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, set over a low heat, and add the garlic. Cook until garlic is softened, but not colored.
- Add the thyme, sherry, seasoning and boil the liquid for 30 seconds.
- Toss in the mussels, cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan a bit until the shells have opened.
- Remove mussels from the shell, add a touch of oil with some of the mussel broth.
- In a hot saute pan, add olive oil and mushrooms. Sauté until brown 5 minutes or until brown, add shallots, garlic powder and peppercorn, add sherry.
- Cook for two minutes and remove.
- Arrange fish on a deep dish plate or in a wide shallow bowl.
- Top fish with 3 slices of radish and a couple of mussels.
- Place a couple more mussels around the fish.
- Pour dashi around the bottom of the fish.
- Add mushrooms around the fish.